Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Packages: a deeper significance?

As much as a deployed spouse must enjoy receiving packages full of delicious baked goods from home, I think the sender receives an even greater, deeper satisfaction in the process. Today I spent most of my afternoon baking cookies, brownies and homemade fig bars for B. After packaging each treat delicately with bubble wrap - still warm from the oven, I added a special hand-written note and made it to the post office with 3 minutes to spare before the last mail went out for the day.

Although I was pressed for time during the last hour of baking due to the frustrating fig bars, which resulted in driving like a mad-man during school bus rush hour to make it to the post office in time, only to return to a disastrous kitchen, I feel that the work was worth my while.

Somehow, the more thought and effort I put into such "projects" during deployments, the more connected and involved I feel to my hubby and the situation. This is probably all in my head, but it seems to be an excellent coping mechanism! I know B would be just as satisfied with a package of rice crispy treats, as with the most elaborate, time consuming baked goods that I could send. But I still feel compelled to try new, usually more extensive recipes. So again, package sending seems to be as much, if not more for me, as for him!


MM

No comments:

Post a Comment