Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Live Intentionally

My parent's pastor preached an awesome sermon last weekend that I'm still contemplating mid-week. The theme was living with intentionality. He referenced Romans 12:1&2, one of my favorite passages. I've come to realize that living intentionally requires a daily refocusing session.

It's so easy to get wrapped up in the "What should I do with my life" syndrome, where the world revolves around "I," "me" and "my." And it's easy to bring God into the picture with the age-old question, "What does God want me to do?" After getting married fresh out of college and moving to a new area with limited job opportunities in the midst of a suffering economy, I spent months contemplating these very questions. I have learned so much in the past year about contentment and God's will for our lives. Everything about my personality screams "do, do, do!" "go, go, go!" When I felt as if I had hit a brick wall, I had two choices: wallow in self-pity on the verge of depression, or "be transformed by the renewing of my mind." I toyed with the first option, but eventually decided on the latter.

I want my life to center around love, relationships and contentment. Those things do not come as a result of "doing" something great or achieving "my" goals. I have to intentionally restructure my life around those things, as oppose to what the world often deems important. This is usually contrary to my internal wiring, hence the "transform" and "renew" parts. Because it is foreign to my human nature, I am working on refocusing every morning.

So that's what's been rolling around in my little head.

On another note, I start my Master's degree in a few weeks. I'm studying Marriage & Family Therapy, and couldn't be more excited! I've always known that I want to work with people in some way, hence the PR background. But I think this is my true calling. I've always been intrigued with the dynamics of relationships and helping people work through mental and emotional issues. Besides preparing me for licensure as a marriage and family counselor, this program will be a great supplement to the type of writing I'm interested in pursuing.


MM

1 comment:

  1. Good luck starting your masters program! That's exciting. One of my college roommates just got her MD in that same program. She loves it, and is now a counselor on an Army Base, helping couples cope with separation and loss. I'm sure you'll do well!

    ReplyDelete