Saturday, January 16, 2010

Good news... maybe!

I received some excellent news from B yesterday. He is 99% sure he'll be coming home a couple weeks early! What a great surprise. However, I won't set myself up for disappointment, because if it's one thing I've learned with the military - nothing is ever for sure.

That's one of the biggest lessons I've learned the hard way over the last few years. Plans have been easily ruined, vacations cancelled, etc. due to "policies," "procedures" and flat out "no's." This kind of stuff used to make me angry, sad and full of resentment. But I've learned to deal with disappointment differently. Getting all riled up never made me feel better and certainly didn't change the situation. Active duty military learn to go where they're told and live by the rules, as ridiculous as they may sometimes seem. They are expected to do this without complaining or whining. I hope to adapt to this way of life now, and to apply it to the rest of my life after the military. I very much look up to my husband for his ability to accept things without complaining. This used to bother me, because I wanted him to be upset when I was, especially if I felt something was unjust. Well, I've come to realize that it takes a stronger person to take what life throws at them with grace, optimism and acceptance.

I rarely take plans or promises as 100%, in an effort to ease potential disapointments. And I am making efforts to deal with disappointments in a more effective manner.

...Yet another character-building life lesson, compliments of the military...

But it sure would be nice to jump back in his arms a bit sooner than expected! ;-)

MM

No comments:

Post a Comment