Saturday, April 2, 2011

To be content...

Seeking true contentment in life seems to be a neverending pursuit of the human race. I think I may spend my whole life learning to "be content whatever the circumstances." Just when I feel that I am completely content, I am tempted once again to want something more, be something different, have something I don't. These distractions attempt to throw me off course in pursuit of temporary satisfactions, when all the while I already have way more than I need or deserve to be happy.


I found myself contemplating the last few years of my life, which have been far different than I ever planned, but far greater just the same. Challenging, yes. Frustrating, sometimes. Character building, absolutely. I've learned that I am not defined by a job. From public relations, to interior decorating, substitute teaching, home businesses, graduate school, modeling, catering, personal training, to real estate agent. You name it, I've pursued it or at least dabbled, all in the past two and a half years. Is this due to my lack of contentment with whatever I am currently pursuing? Or am I learning to be content with my seemingly "jack of all trades" personality and lifestyle? I believe (and hope) that the former is beginning to transition into the latter. Either way, I am finding how less relevant a job is to one's character and legacy on this earth. To me, life is about relationships and loving others. I would much rather be remembered in that way than as a success in the world's eye.


I met a new friend last night while out with hubby. After telling her about my various "jobs" in the past, and feelings about our beautiful, but rather career-limiting area, her response surprised me. She told me to enjoy this time in my life because I have the opportunity to work or not work thanks to the security of my husband's career. I take this for granted all the time. I am so blessed - and humbled by my unworthiness.


-Still learning to be content whatever the circumstances...


No comments:

Post a Comment