Wednesday, August 5, 2009

A New Season

I am home after a nice week with my family. Their bags are packed and boxes full. The moving truck arrives bright and early tomorrow morning. I spent 13 years in our beautiful house and will certainly miss the warm, predictable comfort of my childhood home - the smells, sounds and feelings attributed. Though my husband and I have a wonderful home of our own now, there is a sentimental aspect of my original "home" that will never be replaced.




While this is a new season for my family, it is for me as well. The word "home" is changing for me - not just because my family is moving, but because I have a home of my own now. This is a concept that is finally sinking in, after this first 6 months in our new house. I sometimes catch myself referring to my old and new home as "home." But this week away confirmed that the transition is nearly complete. While I was at my family's "home," I found myself homesick for my own "home."

I'm up late tonight baking and experimenting with new methods for shipping cookies overseas to my hubby. The last batch I sent arrived in crumbs, so I'm attempting to individually wrap each cookie in bubble wrap this time. The things we do for the ones we love!


2 comments:

  1. Hey, you'll have to pass on your care package advice. I don't even know if there's rules, and things we're not supposed to try to send.

    I know what you mean about transitioning homes. When I visit my parents' home, even though it's where I spent my childhood, it feels foreign to me. I in essence feel like a stranger in my own parents' home. Not because they treat me like that, but because it's not where my heart is anymore. I haven't even lived in the same place with my husband for more than 2 years, we keep moving- but wherever it is, that's home! One of my best friends made a crosstich for me that says "Home is Where the Air Force Sends Us". Her husband is an AF pilot too, and is a kindred spirit.

    Well, welcome back to your real home! Scott leaves a week from Mon. I'll call you sometime after that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true.. I love that phrase. I definitely feel like home is wherever I am with Brandon. I'm not sure if there are things we can't send or what. I heard no liquids. I think the main thing is just packing everything tight so things don't break. Definitely call me when Scott leaves. And I hope you can make it to game night. If you can't find a sitter, feel free to bring the girls. We can always set them up with a movie or something. Talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete