Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Back to the Basics


Life is distracting. As a real estate agent, my days are often occupied with busy work that doesn't seem to produce any sort of life-improving results. My mind is filled with "remember to do this, call him back, meet her there, email that, learn this, and hurry hurry!" I've noticed that I have been neglecting much needed time each day to rest, reflect, read, pray, and rejuvenate amidst a life of so many distractions. How easy it is to get caught up in the race, to forget the basics.

Why am I here? What is my purpose? What is true contentment and how do I attain it? Meditating on the answers to these questions and revolving my life around such truths rebuilds my strength and focus. But without repetition, it is amazing how quickly distractions and lies sneak in to thwart my path.

Today I am re-centering, rebuilding strength, remembering the basics.

1 comment:

  1. I have a quote I keep on my fridge by Howard W. Hunter that reminds me to be consistent with just that. Searching, pondering, and praying are important, productive, and always worth the time spent. Here's my quote:

    "It is certain that one who studies the scriptures every day accomplishes far more than one who devotes considerable time one day and then lets days go by before continuing. Not only should we study each day, but there should be a regular time set aside when we can concentrate without interference... A quarter of an hour is little time, but it is surprising how much enlightenment and knowledge can be acquired in a subject so meaningful. The important thing is to allow nothing else to ever interfere with our study."

    ReplyDelete