Monday, July 27, 2009

Off he goes into the wild blue yonder...



Day 1 of the first deployment.

I surprised myself today. No tears as we pulled apart from our embrace and I drove away. No emotional breakdown as I came home to our quiet house alone. No fake responses to the friends and family calling to see how I'm feeling. I feel fine. This day is surreal because I've played it out in my head many times before. Everything seems a bit fuzzy and in slow motion. But I'm ready for this. The challenge of this new adventure is intriguing to me. I see it as an opportunity. I love my husband more than I ever thought possible. Next to God, he is everything to me. I want to be the support that he needs as we grow stronger through this experience.

My pilot will be deployed for 2 months, home for 3 months, deployed for 2 months, and so on. This rotation will remain steady for the next 4 or 5 years. While we won't face extended tours, the frequency of his deployments will be quite a roller coaster, I'm sure. They say absence makes the heart grow fonder, though I can't imagine being more in love with this man. I'll let you know!


No comments:

Post a Comment